top of page
  • Writer's pictureNicola Smith

Siberian Squill and 9 Toxic Plants for Dogs



As dog owners, we always strive to create a safe environment for them. However, there are hidden dangers lurking in our homes and yards that we might not even be aware of – toxic plants. While they may add beauty to our surroundings, some plants can pose a serious threat to our canine friends if ingested. 


Right now the wave of discussion with many pet parent in Toronto seems to be about the invasive Siberian Squill. I have seen a few video posts and articles speaking to warn the public of the plant's toxicity to people and pets. As a result, I have had pet parents asking if we, as a Dog Walking company and them as pet parent's, should be worried about this plant with our dogs. 

I have done a substantial amount of research and cannot find any documentation of any dogs getting seriously sick from this local invasive plant. I have also called a handful of vet clinics and nobody has heard of this plant or any dogs having issues from it.

From my findings, if a dog consumes a large amount of Siberian squill bulbs or foliage they can experience symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach discomfort. 

It's important to consider that even non-toxic plants can cause mild gastrointestinal upset if ingested in large quantities. 

As a responsible pet owner, it's a good practice to discourage your dog from eating plants unless you are completely positive that they are a pet safe plant. 

If you do notice any unusual symptoms or behaviors in your dog after exposure to Siberian squill or any other plant, it's best to consult with your veterinarian for guidance and appropriate care.


Here are nine common plants that are toxic to dogs:

Lilies: While they may be a favorite in floral arrangements, lilies are highly toxic to dogs, especially true lilies like Easter lilies, tiger lilies, and Asiatic lilies. Ingestion can lead to kidney failure and, in severe cases, even death.


a beautiful lilly flower

Sago Palm: This popular ornamental plant contains toxins that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, liver failure, and, in some cases, death in dogs.


A woman watering a sago palm plant

 

Azaleas and Rhododendrons: These colorful flowering shrubs contain toxins that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, and even coma in dogs if ingested in large amounts.


bright pink azaleas

 

Tulips and Hyacinths: These springtime favorites contain toxins in their bulbs that can cause intense gastrointestinal upset, drooling, and, in severe cases, heart problems in dogs.


a blue sky with bright red tulips

 

Autumn Crocus: Despite its beauty, the autumn crocus contains toxins that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, liver and kidney damage, seizures, and even death in dogs.


Autumn Crocus in bright purple in a green field of grass

 

Oleander: This popular outdoor shrub contains toxins that affect the heart, causing symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, irregular heartbeat, and potentially fatal heart failure in dogs.


baby pink oleander

 

Yew: All parts of the yew plant, including the berries and foliage, are toxic to dogs and can cause symptoms such as difficulty breathing, tremors, seizures, and sudden death.


yew with a blue sky background

 

Daffodils: These cheerful spring flowers contain toxins in their bulbs that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and, in severe cases, heart and respiratory issues in dogs.


daffodils in a sun filled field

 

English Ivy: While it may add a touch of greenery to your home, English ivy contains toxins that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, and difficulty breathing in dogs if ingested.


english ivy hanging from a flower pot against a white wall

 

Whenever you bring plants into your home or garden its important to research them. If you suspect your dog has ingested a toxic plant, seek veterinary care immediately.


While out Dog Walking; your dog should not be eating anything outside that you are not sure of; this is the best way to keep your pup safe from potential plant hazards.


If you have difficulty keeping your dog away from eating things on walks that they should not be, it may be time to hire a Professional Dog Trainer.


What to do if your dog is poisoned:

  • Move your dog from the area where the poisoning took place

  • Check to make sure your dog is breathing and acting normally

  • Do NOT give any home rededies before speaking to a vet or a Pet Poison Helpline

  • Do NOT induce vomiting without consulting a vet or a Pet Poison Helpline (855)764-7661 (888) 426-4435

  • If veterinary attention is necessary, contact your vet or emergency veterinary clinic immediately.

If you want to learn more about how to keep your dog safe from poisoning, a great resource is ASPCA’s page on Animal Poison Control.


コメント


bottom of page